[Ica-osgeo-labs] BOF in Portland: Some Ideas of certification

Strobl Josef Josef.Strobl at sbg.ac.at
Wed Sep 24 08:50:55 PDT 2014

Interesting discussion, and I am glad to see it popping up again - a good indicator that it might not just turn into a fluke ...

My view is that a certification with 'open' as a defining criterion is hard to argue and justify - the only area where I could see this to work is in open specs like in OGC. Overall, individuals might be certified in software-specific competences (of course these can be FOSS), or in generic geospatial skills, knowledge and competences (this already is being done, though). Thus individual products, technologies and architectures, or workflows (implementation of services-based workflows, integrated portals etc) could be suitable targets for certification, but not so much their 'open' characteristics per se ...

Avoiding 'open' as _the_ defining characteristic also would help navigating a terrain with sometimes fuzzy boundaries.

.josef

Prof. Dr. Josef Strobl | Josef.Strobl at sbg.ac.at
University of Salzburg | Department of Geoinformatics - Z_GIS
Phone: +43 (0)662 8044 7503 | http://jstrobl.zgis.net