[Incubator] MapGuide incubation status?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Aug 15 10:05:14 EDT 2006

Daniel Morissette wrote:
> I have followed the activities of the incubation committee from a
> distance and have been thinking of volounteering as a mentor for
> MapGuide since the committee seems to have a hard time filling the spot.
> However I am hesitant because I am not sure on the amount of time
> involved to do a good job and whether I can find that time. Can any of
> the other mentors comment on that?

Daniel,

I have found being Geotools mentor involves a couple hours work a week
to attend some IRC meetings and keep up with incubation related emails
and to maintain a general sense of what else is going on on the mailing
list.

> Also, I am not currently associated in any way with the MapGuide
> project, but may start using it for our clients or even extending it
> eventually. Would that be a problem if that happened before the end of
> the incubation while I am the MapGuide mentor?

Having an interest in learning and using the project makes you an excellent
potential mentor.  In Paul's case there was a concern as a major code
contributor now (via web studio), and the fact the funding for that came
from Autodesk (I think?) it seems like he was very close to the project to
be seen as independent.