[Incubator] Migration Issues

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 03:19:59 EST 2006

Frank, all,

On 3/29/06, Frank Warmerdam <warmerdam at pobox.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> As per our discussion in the incubator meeting, I have prepared a
> wiki page that address migration issues.  It attempts to talk to the
> difficulty of migrating into CN as well as out (if that should be necessary).
> Please add thoughts, correct mistakes, etc.
>
> The message I took away from this effort was that some things would be pretty
> easy to move in (source control), and move back out while others (bug
> database) would likely be hard.   I think we need to evaluate the benefits
> of each from a common branding and user experience point of view.  I haven't
> done that well.
>
>    http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Project_Infrastructure_Migration

Thanks for writing it.

I have made a couple of corrections for GRASS and added a draft
"Automated Build/Smoke Test System" at bottom. The other projects,
please review this page.

Open questions:
- Will the CVS/SVN history be maintained when moving into/out of CollabNet?
- what about mailing list archives: can they be migrated? The GRASS
archive starts in 1991, with major efforts we have reconstructed it
and want to maintain it as knowledge backbone and history (note that
it also documents license issues and contributions of the pre-CVS
times - so there is also a legal aspect in it).

Best

 Markus