[Incubator] Migration Issues

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Mar 29 09:42:40 EST 2006

Markus Neteler wrote:
> I have made a couple of corrections for GRASS and added a draft
> "Automated Build/Smoke Test System" at bottom. The other projects,
> please review this page.

Markus,

Excellent!

> Open questions:
> - Will the CVS/SVN history be maintained when moving into/out of CollabNet?

Howard has done a demonstration of migrating GDAL from CVS to SVN in
a way that preserves the CVS history into the SVN repository.   I haven't
actually looked into how one would move an existing SVN tree to CN.
DanielB, can you comment on this?

Migrating out I believe we can request a tarfile of the SVN tree to setup
elsewhere.  We have assurances from CN (from BrianB) that they will make
all reasonable efforts in this regard if needed.

> - what about mailing list archives: can they be migrated? The GRASS
> archive starts in 1991, with major efforts we have reconstructed it
> and want to maintain it as knowledge backbone and history (note that
> it also documents license issues and contributions of the pre-CVS
> times - so there is also a legal aspect in it).

Good point.   I gather Paul has already addressed this in the wiki page.
This is a sticking point for me too now that it has come up.