[Incubator] PLEASE READ & REPLY: cvs/svn and svn/svn import to OSGeo.org

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Thu May 11 18:08:34 EDT 2006

Daniel Brookshier wrote:
> Project Name:

GRASS

> Contact name and email:

Markus Neteler (neteler at itc it)

> Do you want to copy your repository history to OSGeo?: (y/n)

No/not yet (needs clarification in GRASS Development Team)

> Repository type and version (like SVN 3.1):

Currently CVS, SVN migration is planned.

> Where are you are currently hosted (custom, CodeHaus, Source Forge, etc.):

intevation.de CVS

> Do you have the capability to dump to a svn tarball?:(y/n)

If CVS, not sure if cvs2svn can be done.
If SVN, yes.

> How many files:

Approximately 4800 files.

> Approximate size of repository (if you can do a svnadmin dump is ideal):

In the order of 70MB.

> The question about actually moving the repository history is important.
> I need to know how many of you plan to do this to scope operation's
> people's time. Porting your entire repository history is not a
> requirement. As an example, MapGuide chose to just import their latest
> release. There is something to be said for starting out clean. I have
> seen some folks just create snapshots of major release to tar files and
> not even put them in the repository. Depends on what you think is
> important verses clutter.

For code traceability purposes, copyright clearance and ongoing studies
on source code evolution it is essential for us to maintain the entire
history.

Best regards,

Markus