[Incubator] Re: idea: petition board for a change of scope

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 12:02:03 EDT 2011

> Jody,
>
> My opinion is that we are already having a hard time addressing
> the incubation task and that it might not be good to broaden our
> scope substantially.
I would expect the workload (and progress) of the incubation mentors to remain the same.

This would, I hope, bring additional people into this committee - ie venue for
project officers to review any proposed procedures and at least have a say
in what is expected.

The only reason I am proposing it as an increase in scope of the incubation committee
is to be inclusive; one "projects team" with incubation projects included from day one.

> That said, I'm not strongly against the idea, especially if we had
> chair that wanted to take this on.
> > > For this to work we would need to ask the various project officers (for
> > > graduated projects) to stay on as members of this committee; even after their
> > > project has "graduated".
> I believe that project incubation liasons are supposed to be added
> to the committee and that unless they explicitly leave the committee
> they would remain members after completing incubation.
I was not aware of that; not sure it makes sense to me. I figured incubation was a revolving door
(after incubation officers answer to the board etc...). The incubation committee being focused
on fostering new projects etc...

I also note that the project officers can change over time; so the current representative may
not be the one that "handled" incubation. There is no roll to play on this committee if you are
not actively mentoring a project.

I don't mind acting as chair - I am not currently a mentor of anything. However we do need to
contact the current list of project officers and see if the like this idea -- why borrow trouble if
the idea won't go ahead?