[Incubator] Fwd: pycsw incubation application

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 08:35:09 PST 2012

Hi Daniel,

I totally agree that in the Free Software world, community is the blood
of each project.
We must have in mind that not all projects are/can be the size of GNU or
Linux kernel though :)

On our side, we have managed to attract more devs in the last year and
through our move from SVN to Git (and GitHub) we have attracted some
more code contributions. We also have 15 people registered on our
mailing list and (unfortunately?) most of the user reports and
discussions are going through the IRC channel first, since we are
available there most of the time. We are trying to tunnel some of those
users in the mailing list to show more activity there.

Recently GeoNode made the decision to include pycsw as a default CSW
server replacing GeoNetwork. We are expecting huge community push from
this collaboration.
Same applies with our scheduled CKAN 2.0 integration (more details can
be found on our mailing list posts). This is the #1 catalog solution for
open data movement and we are committed to make this happen.

We are already getting traffic within the ckan-dev and geonode-dev
mailing lists but this is normal for projects acting as standalone +
embeddable library...

If the committee decides that we do not meet the incubation criteria or
that we are not ready yet, we can revisit/reapply in 6-12 months time.

We are available to be present for the next committee meeting if you
wish to discuss more about our application.

Best regards,
Angelos

Angelos Tzotsos
Remote Sensing Laboratory