[Incubator] Fwd: pycsw incubation application

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 17:07:20 PST 2012

Hi all,

There was a discussion earlier today on IRC (#osgeo) about pycsw
community numbers etc:
http://irclogs.geoapt.com/osgeo/%23osgeo.2012-12-18.log

Daniel asked to raise here the following issue:

17:18:51 	dmorissette: 	agreedâEUR¦ and building the community is not
easy and I hate to be perceived as a blocker for young projects when I
bring up that community size criterai âEUR¦
17:20:33 	kalxas: 	as tomkralidis said before, we applied based on the
evaluation criteria
17:20:42 	tomkralidis: 	dmorissette: it would be valuable if that
criteria was somehow on
http://www.osgeo.org/incubator/process/evaluation.html
17:20:46 	sigq: 	Title: Project Evaluation Criteria | OSGeo.org (at
www.osgeo.org)
17:20:55 	kalxas: 	perhaps this document should be more strict to
discourage us :)
17:21:04 	dmorissette: 	It's in the Desirables
17:21:24 	dmorissette: 	2. Project already has a substantial user
community.
17:21:35 	dmorissette: 	3. Project already has a substantial and diverse
developer community.
17:22:13 	dmorissette: 	Those desirables (all 9 points) should become
requirementsâEUR¦ or it should be made more clear that by the end of
incubation you need to achieve them
17:22:15 	tomkralidis: 	perhaps it should be in mandatory
17:22:35 	dmorissette: 	please bring up that point on the listâEUR¦ a
very good one. This doc needs fixing
17:22:52 	dmorissette: 	Jody will probably grab the ball and address the
issue

Another issue raised here in my opinion is also this: Should a project
fulfill all desirables in order to be incubated or it must fulfill all
desirables in order to graduate? The above evaluation document clearly
states that "Projects should meet some or all of the Desirable
Criteria". So our application was based on this not being discouraging
for us. On the contrary we felt being good enough based on those
criteria for incubation.

Perhaps this document should be more strict? Thoughts?

Cheers,
Angelos

Angelos Tzotsos
Remote Sensing Laboratory