[Incubator] Rasdaman Incubation Status [was: FW: [rasdaman-users] Updates toward OSGeo graduation] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Peter Baumann p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
Sun Feb 10 22:34:15 PST 2013

Hi again,

doing a quick check I just compared rasdaman to degree and found us not very
different, in fact:
     http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Deegree_Incubation_Status
Similarly, with MapServer, GeoTools, PostGIS, GDAL, ...
Time to give my deep kudos to all in the rasdaman project who have contributed
to OSGeo readiness!

cheers,
Peter

On 02/11/2013 12:19 AM, Bruce Bannerman wrote:
> Re: [Incubator] Rasdaman Incubation Status [was: FW: [rasdaman-users] Updates
> toward OSGeo graduation] [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED] Jody,
>
> I think that the remaining issues are more related to community process
> development.
>
> We still haven't made the transition to a truly open community:
>
>   * Most activity and decision making still appears to be centered around
>     Jakobs Uni / Rasdaman.com. I haven't seen much discussion on the lists
>     around a PSC, apart from my and Alan Beccati's comments.
>   * I do know from discussions with Peter Baumann that there are a number of
>     users and potentially developers within Europe, particularly Germany who
>     are hesitant to discuss issues openly in English, but do converse amongst
>     themselves. So we have a cultural / language issue here as well, with
>     potentially hidden processes that the rest of the community does not see.
>   * Though there is still quite a lot of developer contribution coming from
>     other areas as well.
>   * Rasdaman have recently opened up access to their wiki hosted at Jakobs Uni
>     after a request for access by myself to the mailing list.
>   * I haven't raised it yet with the community, though I do wonder how much of
>     a deterrent having the wiki, trac etc hosted at Jakobs is to more open
>     development of the Rasdaman Community. It does leave the perception of
>     being a research oriented project.
>   * Perhaps this infrastructure would be better hosted within the OSGeo
>     umbrella, however this would probably be a big disruption to the community
>     at this stage of their development. Thoughts?
>

> So in answer to your question, I think that we will need some time for
> processes and the community to come together into a more cohesive and open
> environment.
>
> Bruce
>

> On 11/02/13 9:54 AM, "Jody Garnett" <jody.garnett at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>      Thanks for the status update Bruce - moving to a continuous build is a
>     huge load off the developers.
>     Is there anything we can do to help Rasdaman along? Or is it just case of
>     finding the time ...

Dr. Peter Baumann
    mail: p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
    tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
    www.rasdaman.com, mail: baumann at rasdaman.com
"Si forte in alienas manus oberraverit hec peregrina epistola incertis ventis dimissa, sed Deo commendata, precamur ut ei reddatur cui soli destinata, nec preripiat quisquam non sibi parata." (mail disclaimer, AD 1083)