[Incubator] Fwd: Rasdaman as a 'Benevolent Dictatorship'

Peter Baumann p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
Wed Jul 31 05:24:05 PDT 2013

Hi Bruce & all,

let me put in some thoughts.

First, it is a misconception that the company sucks up developers or code or
whatever. The open source variant, rasdaman community, is maintained under
guidance of Jacobs University. Some share of the contributions made are coming
from projects funded by the European Commission (eg, EarthServer, see
www.earthserver.eu), German Ministry of Research, and European Space Agency. As
usual with OS, this determines direction and pace to some extent.
Also, we see much contribution by the rasdaman GmbH company (check commit
logs!). So contrary to the often heard suspicion that a company draws OS
contribs into their product, quite the contrary is true here: the company
heavily contributes to rasdaman community progress. Parallel rasdaman, WMS, the
whole rasdaman code as such...wanna hear more examples?

Bottom line, there is some general, cloudy suspicion in OS world which IMHO
should be verified individually before becoming a decision basis. We are more
than happy to explain & discuss the detailed situation.

On 07/31/2013 07:29 AM, Jody Garnett wrote:
> So I think that means they do not quality for OSGeo incubation. Part of our
> driver here is to promote open development (i.e. to ensure that anyone can
> take part - it is not pay-to-play, or in the benevolent dictatorship case
> create-to-play).
>
> Note "play" in the case is about "making significant strategic decisions"
> rather than simply "commit".

Let's differentiate here.

- Planning is something we would love to do in a more open and integrative way
indeed. We are immensely grateful and indebted for incubation and Bruce's
guidance, we are so much further than we have been before. It has brought us
forward significantly in our processes, and dealing with planning in a more
transparent and open way certainly is on the agenda. The problem is not that we
wouldn't want it, it's just a step we have to better understand ourselves - a
matter of learning curve on our side.

- Keeping a last say on some - few - critical issues and decisions is something
that indeed will remain a "benevolent dictatorship". I have tried more
collaborative approaches in the past, and other projects as well. Our attempt
failed miserably, and it took me huge effort to recover the project from
dissolving altogether. Where do other projects stand here?
     * Linux kernel: Linus Torvalds decides about code that goes in.
     * Debian: has tried democracy once, with the effect that the whole project
got stuck for a whole year for lack of decision abilities.
     * PostgreSQL: has a quite rigorous approach as well. (We have a core PG
team member on board now.)
...more specific OS project examples on request.

And, personally, if I see people conducting religious flame wars of "slash good,
ampersand bad" (called REST) I get a nightmare to see such level of decision
making in our project.

Bottom line, this "benevolent dictatorship" is something we surely will keep up
while listening to all voices and accepting advice in open discussion. I'd love
to see OSGeo accept this, but if this turns out impossible for OSGeo I
understand that you will refuse to graduate us.

> I am not personally against benevolent dictatorship, that is how JTS
> (foundation of our industry) operates. It is just not the ideal we to promote
> as an organisation.

not sure I understand why. OSGeo has set out to do a "quality branding", and I
missed to find a rigorous justification for this item. Would the Linux project
pass incubation?

That is: I do understand that it is not the ideal. But do all projects have to
conform to one ideal, or is there room for flexibility and variety? We might not
be at the core, but what if we look at the complete picture?

Again, I am more than happy to discuss this - admittedly rather specific -
situation in an open way.

Just some thoughts,
Peter

    mail: p.baumann at jacobs-university.de
    tel: +49-421-200-3178, fax: +49-421-200-493178
    www.rasdaman.com, mail: baumann at rasdaman.com