[Incubator] Suggested tweaks to incubator docs

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 03:33:53 PST 2014

Ok,
I've drafted proposed updates to Incubation docs, to align with the
Project Graduation Checklist, primarily to remove implied preference for
using OSGeo infrastructure.

Application Questionnaire:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Incubator_Application_Questionnaire
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=Incubator_Application_Questionnaire&action=historysubmit&diff=75900&oldid=75899

Evaluation Criteria:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Project_Evaluation_Criteria
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php?title=Project_Evaluation_Criteria&action=historysubmit&diff=75898&oldid=75896

I suggest that if there are no objections within a week or 2, we should
vote to approve these updated versions of the docs.

On 03/01/14 16:46, Jody Garnett wrote:
> A good observation, can you think of a way to smoothly update these
> docs without getting bogged down in the details?
>
> Two ideas:
>
> a) General: Remote references to OSGeo infrastructure, and add a note
> at the end to the effect that: "OSGeo infrastructure is available for
> OSGeo Labs and OSGeo Incubation projects. Contact the system
> administration committee for details"
> b) Wiki Draft: make a copy on the wiki and edit in collaboration with
> the mailing list here.
>

> Jody Garnett
>

> On Thu, Dec 19, 2013 at 8:20 AM, Cameron Shorter
> <cameron.shorter at gmail.com <mailto:cameron.shorter at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Landon and others on the incubator list,
>
>     Something touched on in the last board meeting was that our
>     incubation questionaires encourage incoming projects to make use
>     of OSGeo infrastructure.
>
>     This was considered desirable when OSGeo was formed, but the
>     software development landscape has changed, and well maintained
>     infrastructure such as sourceforge and github is now available for
>     free, and arguably provides better value and better service than
>     volunteers at OSGeo can provide.
>
>     The Project Graduation Checklist is now consistant with this
>     revised focus, however it would be valuable if the other
>     documents, such as Incubation Questionaire and Project Graduation
>     Guidelines were updated too.
>
>     Eg revise from Project Graduation Guidelines: " Project is willing
>     to migrate some or all of its infrastructure (code repository, web
>     site, wiki, mailing list, etc) to foundation support
>     infrastructure, and to adopt a website style consistent with the
>     foundation."
>
>     Reference:
>     http://www.osgeo.org/incubator

Cameron Shorter,