[Incubator] Recommend pycsw Graduation

Angelos Tzotsos gcpp.kalxas at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 13:23:06 PST 2015

Hi Cameron,

The outstanding issues from the pycsw Provenance Review are:

1. The OSGeoLive pycsw installer script was maintained in pycsw source
tree before pushing changes to OSGeoLive. Since the license for the
installer is LGPL, there is a conflict.
I just removed the installer from the pycsw tree. It is *not* used by
pycsw. Problem solved.
https://github.com/geopython/pycsw/issues/302

2. The OGC schemas are included in pycsw to validate incoming XML
requests. This discussion started when we pushed pycsw as a package to
Debian. Debian developers identified the license problem and reported
back to us. There is a discussion between OSGeo, OGC and  DebianGIS on
standards mailing list and we hope this will be resolved soon, not only
for pycsw but also for various other OSGeo projects (both graduated and
not) that include OGC schemas in their code tree.
https://github.com/geopython/pycsw/issues/306
Thanks Sebastiaan for this excellent e-mail with many details on this
issue:
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/standards/2015-February/000842.html

Just to be clear: there is no library conflict in pycsw, the source code
is clean.

Best,
Angelos

--