[Incubator] osgeo innovator (was labs)

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Feb 5 07:08:14 PST 2016

This is likely the case for many of the projects I'm involved in,
pgRouting, geocoding, vehicle routing problems. Geocoding will probably
get integrated into PostGIS but as individual FOSS4G projects they will
likely never get through incubation because they will lack the broad
community support to be viable. These are none the less key components
in the geospatial landscape.

pgrouting is a good example of a project that has been around for 10+
years and has made an effort in the past to get ready for incubation but
we gave up when we realized we would not meet the community requirements
or having enough developers supporting it. But in every other way we are
OSGeo, we have mentored something like 7-8 years of GSoC projects and
about 12 students under OSGeo, the code is OpenSource, we collaborate
with PostGIS team, etc.

So I think providing support and shelter for projects like these is
important to OSGeo. And might want to look at the incubation rules or
levels of integration with OSGeo to make it easier for projects like
these to be part of OSGeo.

My thoughts,
   -Steve

---