[Incubator] Info on the Old OSGeo Labs

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Mar 16 15:04:28 PDT 2016

Jody,

As one person speaking for the pgRouting project, I think one of the key
points you just made is "small". pgRouting has been around for many
years, but the development community is small and the overall community
small and somewhat transient, as people need a solution and come to us
but move on to other things. Getting continuity over the long term is
very hard for pgRouting, because you can not easily build a business
model on routing. It is an essential part of the ecosystem, but not a
central part of it.

I really think something along the line of "A Community Projects in
Support of OSGeo" really captures the ideas we have been discussing.
Using "Community Projects" clearly differentiates it as not an "OSGeo
Project" and "in Support of OSGeo" makes it's intention clear.

Separate from the possibility that pgRouting may or may not make it
through incubation, one of the big stumbling block for small projects
that develop key niche pieces of technology is that small projects do
not have the critical mass of community, especially if the technology is
not main stream. Sure, everyone needs maps to display data, and GIS
tools to create and manipulate data, but routing?, geocoding?, reverse
geocoding?, etc these are not main stream and they tend to come with
pretty high data requirements. The OSM family of tools are built around
OSM, but not everyone can use OSM.

So whatever we call it there is clearly a need for it and all projects
might not be small, but some aspect of them is probably small or lacking
in the ability to make it though incubation.

-Steve