[Incubator] Considering Portable GIS as an OSGeo community project

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 13:06:39 PDT 2017

Hi Jo,

I'm really excited to see you pushing Portable GIS forward. I think that
having a windows based OSGeo distribution is a great complement to
OSGeo-Live, as OSGeo-Live is tied into (and limited to) being a linux
distribution.

I also see potential for collaboration between OSGeo-Live and Portable
GIS. Eg, the OSGeo-Live Project Overviews could note whether the project
is available on Portable GIS.

We could also potentially align OSGeo-Live and Portable GIS release
schedules (which would help with aligning documentation).

Re packaging, have you considered building with cygwin (which is Open
Source)?

I'm happy to answer questions about license. While I'm not a lawyer, I
have been involved in plenty of licensing selection discussions,
including for OSGeo-Live.

Re Portable GIS licensing, I assume your build tools are not embedded in
the final Portable GIS software distribution? That would mean that the
final software distribution does not inherit to the license of the build
tools. So I suspect you should be ok to select what ever license you
choose for the build tools. That is how we have approached the
OSGeo-Live build scripts, which are LGPL. (Documentation is licensed
under CC-By for Project Overviews and CC-By-SA for Quickstarts).

Warm regards, Cameron

Cameron Shorter
M +61 419 142 254