[Incubator] MobilityDB

Mahmoud SAKR mahmoud.sakr at ulb.ac.be
Mon Aug 17 03:14:06 PDT 2020

Hi Jody, hi incubator committee,
Thanks for the reply. We are happy that you like the project page. Our
response to the comments is given inline:

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 12:09 AM Jody Garnett <jody.garnett at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Let me check it out, looks like it was published already.
>

>    - project type: OSGeo Community Project
>    Not an OSGeo Community Project yet, we will need to that review next.
>
> Ok. we found that the type has been changed to "None", probably by you.
Thanks !

>    - logo: thanks for putting it on the correct sized background
>    - website: does the project have a website?
>
> For now, we add our github repository as a project Website. We own the
domain names mobilitydb.com and mobilitydb.eu, but they currently only
redirect to github.

>    - photo: do you have a photo of your team?
>
> Alas we don't have a photo ready, and because of COVID it is difficult to
make one now. For now, the section "Who's involved" partially compensates
for it, as it lists all developers and PSC members.

>    - content / images: looks good, usually we put a border on the images
>    (like a laptop or browser window)
>
> Because MobilityDB is a database system, it doesn't have visual
components. We visualize the data and the query results in any PostgreSQL
client (pgAdmin, QGIS, etc). For instance, the images in this section are
done in QGIS. We avoid using the client interface as a border, because it
could be misleading. Readers may wrongly think that MobilityDB is part of
QGIS, for example.
A good relevant news is that we are currently discussing with Nyall Dawson,
from QGIS, to integrate MobilityDB with QGIS, for instance, that QGIS will
natively create animated map displays for spatiotemporal data.

>    - project type / topic / level 1 / level 2: this information is needed
>    if your project is to be found on the website choose a project
>    <https://www.osgeo.org/choose-a-project/> guide
>
> Done.

>    - standards / development : please fill in
>
> We would have liked to see in the list:
- ISO19141 Geographic information — Schema for moving features (
https://www.iso.org/standard/41445.html).
- OGC Moving Features (https://www.ogc.org/standards/movingfeatures)
For now, we choose OGC, without a specific standard.

>    - core features: good
>    - core contributors: are their any service providers in place for your
>    project?
>
> MobilityDB is mainly developed and supported by an academic team in
Universite Libre de Bruxelles (ULB). Would this qualify ULB to be a service
provider ? Otherwise, there is no service provider yet.

>    - communication:  any twitter, stack exachange tag, anything?
>
> Thanks for insisting. We have created a twitter account. Indeed so far we
are not active on social media, but we should. (
https://twitter.com/mobilitydb)

>    - end user / developer resources: looks good
>    - footer: Since "PostgreSQL" has a trademark you may wish to make a
>    note of it here
>
> Good point. We added this:

PostgreSQL is a trademark of the PostgreSQL Community Association of Canada.

> Looks great!

Thanks. We are so happy that you like it !

Mahmoud SAKR, for the MobilityDB team