[Industry] development model vs business model

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Mon Aug 25 01:22:00 PDT 2014

Il 24/08/2014 15:43, Karel Charvat ha scritto:
> But I have to say, that not many others companies in Czech are doing the same and probably they don’t plan to do the some. I am sure, that most of them respect license, but they use OS in the some way as proprietary software, only without obligation to pay (and this is main reason).

Hi all.
very important thread IMHO. One important issue is: now that OSGEO is very popular,
mainly because it's cheaper, contributors have a clear disadvantage compared to
resell without giving back anything. A while ago the margins were larger, so we had
some surplus to inject into the system, but the global crisis is shrinking it. So a
way to protect the investment back into FOS projects is crucial to keep the system
sustainable. In a similar situation, the Fair Trade label proved successful, so this
option is worth exploring.
All the best, and thanks.

--
Paolo Cavallini - www.faunalia.eu