[Lexicon] [QGIS-Developer] Concerns about translations and QGIS overall credibility

Jorge Gustavo Rocha jgr at di.uminho.pt
Fri Jul 3 15:23:01 PDT 2020

Hi Ian, hi all,

There are people trying to run an OSGeo "Interest group" on
"Terminology", to be transversal to all OSGeo projects.

They created a proof of concept, called "geolexica", available at:

https://osgeo.geolexica.org/concepts/

Sources on: https://github.com/geolexica/osgeo.geolexica.org

It would be awesome if we were able to fill the translation for the
different languages associated with the English concept, right on the
origin.

As far I as know (I'm cc to lexica group), this project needs some
additional "love" to go on.

Maybe Cameron (in cc) or someone else can make an update on the lexicon
activities/plans.

Regards,

Jorge

On 30/06/20 10:57, Ian Turton wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jun 2020 at 10:40, Bo Victor Thomsen
> <bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com <mailto:bo.victor.thomsen at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Dear developers:
>
>     As a former translator of the Danish version of QGIS I have a few -
>     very personal, perhaps a bit caustic - comments:
>
>       * Create a group or list of highly technical GIS related terms
>         that is *not* to be translated. There is a lot of GIS terms that
>         is English in origin, but haven't a well defined local
>         translation. (With some hilarious results if they are
>         translated). Not all translators is well versed in every aspect
>         of GIS.
>

> Is this something that OSGEO can help to oversee and/or maintain as I
> suspect that this list would be useful across many projects.
>
> Ian
>
> --
> Ian Turton

J. Gustavo