[Liblas-devel] How standard is the ASPRS LAS Standard

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon May 5 13:31:50 EDT 2008

Hi,

Perhaps it's something interesting, from recent discussions
on the CLICK forums [1], Jason Stoker said:

"Someone please correct/inform me here- the LAS standard is still an
industry standard, and not a federal or ANSII / ISO standard. We had
been working on making this a ISO standard, but I think that is on hold
now. We do provide FGDC-compliant metadata with every tile delivered
that should have that information."

For me, it explains quite well why so little LAS-enabled software
follows the specification from start to end :-)

[1]
http://igskmncngs506.cr.usgs.gov/website/lidar/BB/index.php?showtopic=2987
--
Mateusz Loskot