[Liblas-devel] liblas 1.0.1 on FreeBSD64 with gcc 3.4.4

Jeff Hamann jeff.hamann at forestinformatics.com
Wed May 27 23:29:40 EDT 2009

On May 27, 2009, at 7:34 PM, Howard Butler wrote:

> On May 27, 2009, at 9:10 PM, Jeff Hamann wrote:
>
>> $ ./configure --with-boost=no --with-gdal=/usr/home/hamannj/
>> gdal-1.6.0
>>

> Is boost complaining?  Are you required to do --with-boost=no?  If
> so, I should fix that, boost is not a requirement to build the
> library at this time.

Yes, boost is complaining, when I try a simple ./configure

checking for boostlib >= 1.20.0... configure: error: We could not
detect the boost libraries (version 1.20 or higher). If you have a
staged boost library (still not installed) please specify $BOOST_ROOT
in your environment and do not give a PATH to --with-boost option.  If
you are sure you have boost installed, then check your version number
looking in <boost/version.hpp>. See http://randspringer.de/boost for
more documentation.
$

>> lots of the following:
>>
>> gt_wkt_srs.cpp:656: error: `Datum_North_American_Datum_1983'
>> undeclared (first use this function)
>> gt_wkt_srs.cpp:659: error: `Datum_WGS84' undeclared (first use this
>> function)
>> gt_wkt_srs.cpp:666: error: `CSVFilename' undeclared (first use this
>> function)
>> gt_wkt_srs.cpp:1924: error: `TIFFTAG_GEOTIEPOINTS' undeclared
>> (first use this function)
>> gt_wkt_srs.cpp:1965: error: `CPLFree' undeclared (first use this
>> function)
>> gt_wkt_srs.cpp:1974: error: `TIFFIsTiled' undeclared (first use
>> this function)
>> *** Error code 1
>
> guh, you probably need a trunk-ish GDAL.
>
> can do. please stand by.

>>> Are there plans to move the las2ogr into the ogr library?
>>>

> Not at this point.  I'm skeptical it would be any more convenient to
> be in the GDAL tree with las2ogr, las2ogr is developing quite
> rapidly still, and las2ogr is not at all in OGR's code style and
> would likely have to be rewritten a bit to satisfy the OGR style gods.

ah... I work with ogr2ogr from the command line, and have added some
features I would like to get into that repos.

I forgot what my original problem was... oh yeah, do I understand
correctly, that the capability to write to Postgresql databases exists
in las2ogr?

I need to do something like:

las2ogr -a -f "PostgreSQL" PG:"host=localhost dbname=testing" lidar.las

add the append switch, rather than dump and create a new table (or
something like it)...

How much effort do you think that would take? Right now, I'm hacking
scripts to dump the last file to a shapefile, then dumping the
shapefile to an sql script, then importing the resulting sql dump into
the database.

Thanks again,

Jeff.