[Liblas-devel] LAS 1.3

Martin Isenburg martin.isenburg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 10:56:09 EST 2011

hi,

I hope to add support for the other LAS 1.3 point formats in the near
> future.  Martin has already updated the LASzip compressor to handle them as
> well.

let me clarify. all LAStools support reading and writing LAS 1.3 point
formats 4 and 5. only laszip, lasinfo and las2txt have functionality that
make use of the wavepacket part of each point. laszip can losslessly
compress LAS 1.3 files that store the waveforms externally - including the
wavepacket part. but there is no support for compressing the waveforms
themselves. lasinfo reports about the wavepackets, and las2txt can extract
both the wavepacket part of each point and the waveforms themselves and put
them into ASCII form

las2txt -i lidar1.3.las -o waveform -parse xyzV
las2txt -i lidar1.3.las -o waveform -parse xyzWV

that said i do not think we should make our life miserable trying to support
LAS 1.3 waveforms. i have written up a little something about why - in my
humble opinion - the LAS 1.3 format's way of handling waveforms is poorly
designed:

https://lidarbb.cr.usgs.gov/index.php?showtopic=11748

and i was contemplating about creating a facebook page "the messy waveform
storage in LAS 1.3". i thought many of you "like" this page ... (-;

martin