[Liblas-devel] Ground Modeling with RAW LiDAR and libLAS

Christopher Crosby ccrosby at sdsc.edu
Fri Mar 4 11:48:52 EST 2011

I second Howard's request for direct support for LAS in GRASS.

The ISU Boise Center Aerospace Lab has a lidar ground modeling tool in their BCAL Lidar Tools package for ENVI (http://bcal.geology.isu.edu/Envitools.shtml).  The Height Filtering tool is optimized for the open rangeland vegetation (sagebrush) common in the American west.  The code is written in IDL and available via Google Code (http://code.google.com/p/bcal-lidar-tools/).

More info on the height filtering approach is in:
Streutker, D. and Glenn, N., 2006. LiDAR measurement of sagebrush steppe vegetation heights. Remote Sensing of Environment, 102, 135-145. (http://bcal.geology.isu.edu/manuscripts/Streutker_2006_RSE.pdf)

-Chris

--
Christopher Crosby
Project Manager, OpenTopography Facility

San Diego Supercomputer Center
University of California, San Diego, MC 0505
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, CA 92093-0505

858.822.5458
ccrosby at sdsc.edu
http://www.opentopography.org

On  [Mar/4] 6:27 AM, "Howard Butler" <hobu.inc at gmail.com> wrote:

On Mar 4, 2011, at 8:29 AM, francesco wrote:

> I use GRASS quite a lot, but always thought that it would be slow on vector points. I know Brovelli and her team developed some modules, I'll check on that. Good idea to use LibLAS as "driver" to turn LAS to xyz.

It would be much, much, much faster if someone wrote some glue between libLAS and GRASS (proposed here quite a while ago, but still not done <http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/grass-dev/2008-May/037687.html>).  I would guess it would be an order of magnitude faster to ingest data if you didn't have to go through text formats to do it.

And, for this LiDAR idiot.  What is ground modeling?

Thanks,

Liblas-devel mailing list
Liblas-devel at lists.osgeo.org