[Local-chapters] Re: [Marketing] Asia Geospatial Forum 2012

Seven (aka Arnulf) seven at arnulf.us
Wed May 2 06:38:45 EDT 2012

Hi,
I second the proposal and agree that Cameron can approve this request
without passing it through the board. We have built up an informal but
nonetheless very good contact with Geospatial Media over the past years.

OSGeo already appeared as Strategic Insititutional Partner [1] at the
Geospatial World Forum last week in Amsterdam, organized by Geospatial
Media. I approved appearing as strategic partner for that event
without passing it through the a board because it did not put any
obligations on us.

Being a strategic partner also opens up options, for example to
organize an event or block of presentations around Open Source
geospatial and promote OSGeo. But this will *not* be organized by
"OSGeo Global". Instead the nearest Local Chapter has to become
active. This is important. If you do not become active nothing will
happen.

In Amsterdam last week the OSGeo.nl Local Chapter [2] did this with
great success. There we actually managed to organize the whole Open
Source track, which makes sure that there are no half baked
presentations and improves the quality.

Just van den Broecke invited ten speakers for the Open Source seminar
which took place in a full room on Wednesday [3]. Willy Bakker
organized an OSGeo booth in the exhibition area where we distributed
Live DVDs and flyers (some of which do need an update, just as a side
note).

I also had a stint (self paid) at the last at Asia Geospatial Forum in
2011 where I gave an introduction to OSGeo [4]. After this event I was
invited (including travel reimbursement) to Seoul for a great Local
Chapter FOSS4G event there.

Things really only happen when the locals make them happen.

Best regards,
Arnulf

[1] http://www.geospatialworldforum.org/
[2] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Nederlands