Ajax library

Christoph Baudson christoph.baudson at ccgis.de
Wed Oct 25 06:21:25 EDT 2006

Hi there,

some functions in Mapbender would truly benefit from an AJAX engine.

By now, everthing AJAX-like in Mapbender works with IFrames, which is
similar, but not as convenient as AJAX, so the architecture of Mapbender
suffers from the lack of an AJAX-library (more modules with hard to
follow code, and dependency on frames).

So we should try to start a discussion about AJAX-libraries that are
suitable for Mapbender. I'm still in the process of understanding the
impact of AJAX on our project, so any input is welcome.

I found a nice AJAX tutorial (unfortunately in german language only) at
http://www.teialehrbuch.de/AJAX1-KK/index.html

There are lots of AJAX frameworks like Sarissa, SAJAX, Prototype, JQuery
and lots more. Sarissa (http://sourceforge.net/projects/sarissa/) is
more a framework XML-handling and is used in Mapbuilder. I have no idea
about SAJAX (http://www.modernmethod.com/sajax/) or Prototype, so far I
have played a little with JQuery (http://www.jquery.com) which is very
easy to use and simplifies JS code a lot.

If anyone would like to contribute to this discussion I would be more
than happy.

Thanks, Christoph