[Mapbender-dev] Public access to Mapbender

Christoph Baudson christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Tue Jun 2 05:07:49 EDT 2009

Astrid Emde schrieb:
> Hello Christoph,
>

> Christoph Baudson schrieb:
>> In the past I have experienced a lot of trouble with demo
>> applications that are made public via a user like "demo" and a
>> similar password.
>>
>> The most annoying problem is, that the account can be disabled by
>> trying to log in several times with a wrong password. How about this
>> workaround: if the login_count is set to -1 by the owner, the
>> login_count would never be incremented in the first place, thus never
>> disabling the account. This would be a quick fix.
>>
> I favorite this quite easy solution.
>> A more generic solution could include a new column in mb_user, with a
>> "public" flag. If this flag was set, you could log in no matter what
>> password you supplied (I think it's counter-intuitive to have a
>> password for a public user). Maybe Mapbender should be delivered with
>> a default public user, to encourage the usage.
>>
>> A less significant problem is, that you do not know if there are any
>> "public" users in a Mapbender installation. You always have to try
>> "demo", "guest", "gast", "anonymous" etc. if there is no
>> documentation. Maybe the Mapbender server should have this as an API
>> function, or we could include it in the portal site.
>>
>> We should think of a solution, as most installations offer this kind
>> of public access.
> This does not sound as a good solution for me. The administrators of
> mapbender should decide by themself whether they want to offer a
> public user or not.

This was an additional suggestion. The main idea is to flag "public"
users by a column in the mb_user table.

We do not have to include a default public user, although in my opinion
this would be more intuitive. The problem would be updates...some
installations will already have a user with the name we would come up
with ;-)

>> Christoph
>>
> Best regards astrid

W h e r e G r o u p GmbH & Co. KG