[Mapbender-dev] motion: change attribute "extent" of map

Christoph Baudson christoph.baudson at wheregroup.com
Tue Jun 2 05:16:03 EDT 2009

Currently, this is a string containing four comma-separated coordinates.
This is hard to use, whenever you want to perform an operation on the
extent, you have to split the string and use parseFloat. There is also
no way to register an event with the setting of the extent, because it's
not a function.

At the development sprint in Hannover Peter and I discussed the
implementation of a restricted extent. For this, we concluded, using the
Extent object as attribute (and no longer the string) would be
necessary. I am changing this in trunk, if this motion passes. The
changes would include

(1) The extent attribute is currently *set* by

map.extent = "a,b,c,d";

The new version would use this syntax

map.extent = new Extent(a,b,c,d);

(2) The extent attribute is currently *read* by

map.extent

which is a string "a,b,c,d". The new version would use this syntax

map.extent.toString();

and return the same string "a,b,c,d".

All custom modules would have to use these changes as well, which will
be important when updating. I'll only change the modules in Mapbender trunk.

Please second this motion and vote.

W h e r e G r o u p GmbH & Co. KG

Christoph Baudson
Anwendungsentwickler