[mapguide-internals] MapGuide RFC 15 - New Query Features API

Andy Morsell amorsell at spatialgis.com
Fri Feb 2 20:50:24 EST 2007

I do like the proposed behavior change.  I think it will come in handy.
And, the user can clear their selection if they don't like the ugly blue
blobs (or we can do it programmatically for them).  I do like the idea of
this not being a forced behavior, but I do think it should become the
default as I would find it more useful than the existing behavior.  There
definitely are concerns of too many objects being displayed and selected
based on the query.  For instance, all of the parcels in Canada over $100k
in value would probably blow up the server and the resultant selection
display would be horrible.  I see that there is a maxFeatures parameter to
the methods, but the optimal value for this will change depending on the
data source.  I'm not sure the best way to handle these potential abuses,
but there needs to be some internal checking before allowing the query to
execute.

Andy