[mapguide-internals] MapGuide RFC 15 - New Query Features API

Robert Bray rbray at robertbray.net
Sat Feb 3 00:41:16 EST 2007

There is really no way for the server to know what it is going to run
into prior to executing a query, unless it starts remembering stats per
feature source and class, which would be a truly interesting piece of
work (probably some database theory available on this topic somewhere).

In the meantime, I'd like to figure out how to monkey wrench this one
in. This is default behavior in ArcIMS and apparently that user base
considers this functionality quite useful. So I guess the key questions are:

- Do we really need both the old and new behavior?
- Assuming we need both, what should the default behavior be?
- How is it controlled, by the end user or application developer?
- What should it be called?

Thanks,
Bob