[mapguide-internals] Viewers and the Future of Web Layout

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Feb 26 19:19:17 EST 2007

I would be keen to have a common framework, but I am starting to get
emotionally invested in my Fusion work and would have to be very
convinced before moving away from it :)  I'm not saying our work is
better or worse than anyone else's ... but I do like it a lot!

Also, I'm anti-java and don't really like the concept that GWT is
built on (although I can see how it would compelling to a large group
of users).  I don't know much about atlas, but I have similar
reservations about .Net :)

Of course, I'm now a mac user so things can change!!!

I would like to see what SL-King is doing as well - and I'm sure that
everyone would be interested in what I'm doing ;)  It may be that
there is room, and need, for both - or the community may choose one
approach over the other for MapGuide, which would be fine for me
either way.

Unfortunately I'm still stupidly busy and don't really have the time
right now to get some demos and docs together for the stuff I'm
doing.  I will try to put this into the priority queue (after Jason!)
and at least let folks take a look at what is happening in our shop
on this front.

As a very brief overview, I would say it is most like the OSGeo
MapBuilder project - we take any web page and associate 'Command's
from the weblayout with HTML elements using the element's ID and
dynamically load javascript that implements the command.  We do not
use anything from the existing AJAX viewer except a couple of
includes.  There is no need to use frames or iframes anywhere.  Just
a single javascript file (fusion.js) to include in a web page and a
call to Fusion.initialize() does the trick in most cases.

Most of the code is javascript.  There are a dozen or so PHP scripts,
but the architecture is designed to allow these to be replaced by ASP
or JSP pages without changes to the javascript code.  The biggest
changes are in my mutilation of the WebLayout ... :)

Right now, we can replicate all the functionality of the AJAX viewer
except for invoke URL (this is trivial), invoke Script (this is
actually done, but I stupidly called it something else), and
supporting tiled base maps.  I hope to use OpenLayers to support
tiled base maps but I haven't figured out when I'm going to implement
this.

There are a few new capabilities as well (reference map for
instance), and some improvements (IMO) on some of the existing
functionality.  Also, we've put some effort into building a generic
javascript UI library that provides some slick menus, toolbars,
trees, tabs, dialogs, splitters etc.  Everything is designed to be
CSS skinnable, and maximize use of the power of browsers (so hovers
on buttons are handled as <a> tags with css :hover psuedo classes for
instance).

Anyway, its hard to describe so I guess I'll just have to try and get
some code and demos out there!

Cheers

Paul