[mapguide-users] Mapguide OS/Enterprise versus Google maps mashup

Andy Morsell amorsell at spatialgis.com
Tue Aug 8 12:36:05 EDT 2006

Swati,
I just looked at your current LiteView map and the Google Maps mashup.  The
LiteView app did not return an image over half of the time, so yes, it looks
like user experience is less than desirable.  LiteView turned out to be a
very poor implementation and after one install and configuration for a
customer a few years ago where we experienced similar problems, we abandoned
LiteView completely and told people to stay away from it.  I'm fairly
certain that the need for a good plugin-less MapGuide application is at
least what partially drove the complete re-architecture of MapGuide and has
led to the current version.  Obviously, the AJAX version is better than
LiteView beyond compare.

As for stability and performance, Autodesk seems to be constantly improving
it and both stability and speed of 1.0.1 are much better than prior
releases.   I'm sure there are still some problems, but I am optimistic that
fixes to those problems will continue in a relatively timely fashion.
Obviously this version of MapGuide is brand new so there are going to be
some growing pains as the bugs are worked out.

Regarding using a pure Google Maps mashup: I really like the look of the
application that the students put together, but it really is not a dynamic
GIS application.  It appears that the campus map is a just a single image
overlay and when in that view, isn't much of a mashup unless displaying a
marker from a search result.  You could use MapGuide Open to drive those
markers and use different symbols for each marker type rather than the
generic Google Maps one.  See this app:
http://mapguide.spatialgis.com/mapguide/GoogleMapsDemo/ and zoom in until
parcel centroids (coming from MGOS) are displayed.  Please note that WMS
appears to be broken in 1.0.1 so that portion of the app does not work, but
(when it is fixed) you could use that driven from MGOS for overlaying the
rest of your campus basemap.  I have experienced some problems with Google
Maps, mostly due to them changing the underlying code frequently which can
effect your application.  Since a mashup calls the code from a Google
server, they can change this on a whim.  Also, performance of a mashup can
be poor and VERY client processor intensive in the case of displaying many
markers (since parsing of the marker XML and processing is client-side) so
you have to worry about client computer horsepower.

If you use MapGuide Open Source, you will create a much more interactive map
that is easy to stylize with Studio and requires no client download.  So, my
tendency would lean towards a pure MGOS with the AJAX viewer solution.  But,
if others in your organization are set on Google Maps, at least stream the
data dynamically and use WMS from an MGOS server.

Andy Morsell, P.E.
Spatial Integrators, Inc.
http://www.SpatialGIS.com