[mapguide-users] WMS Polygon clipping problems

Traian Stanev traian.stanev at autodesk.com
Tue May 23 09:20:34 EDT 2006

One big difference is that GETTILE uses a different labeling algorithm
which attempts to avoid problems with labels spanning multiple tiles.
You will likely get labeling artifacts if you are tiling WMS requests
for data that is labeled. How important is that in your case?

The tile size in MG is currently set to 300x300 pixels. We chose a
bigger size because labeling would behave better the bigger tiles are,
there would be less http requests made to the server, and the set-up
time overhead to draw a map image is usually a lot longer than the
actual time it takes to draw the geometry, so by having bigger tiles
that overhead is distributed across more features.

However, I see that for overlay with Google Maps, the ability to set
tile size down to 256 may be useful, especially if you expect that
caching the tiles would give a significant performance boost.

Traian

  _____