[mapguide-users] MGE/MGOS Differences - WMS

Chris Claydon chris.claydon at autodesk.com
Wed Nov 8 15:00:29 EST 2006

Hi James,

The difference between MGE and MGOS is that MGE uses Mentor coordinate
system dictionaries and MGOS uses PROJ4. PROJ4 needs to be able to
locate its data files using an environment variable, PROJ_LIB, but the
FastCGI map agent does not have access to the system environment
variables.

A couple of modifications were made in 1.0.2 to try to address this
issue. For Apache web servers, the PROJ_LIB variable was set using a
SetEnv statement in the configuration file (httpd.conf). For IIS, a
registry entry was added to store this information. These should be
enough to get the WMS services working, though a more solid long-term
solution is in the works.

I installed the MGOS 1.0.2 Server and Web Tier (IIS/PHP) on a clean
Windows XP VM. I don't have a Windows 2000 VM handy, but I can create
one if the OS seems to be a factor.

I was able to execute both GetMap and GetFeatureInfo requests against
both the Sheboygan sample data, and the packaged data that you sent me.
However, it appears that in your installation we still fail to obtain
the necessary information to initialize PROJ4 correctly.

As a first step, can you check that the following registry key exists on
your machine:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MapGuideOpenSource\Coordsys

And that it contains a string value called "PROJ_LIB" that points to a
valid folder containing the PROJ4 data files.

Mine is set to:

C:\Program Files\MapGuideOpenSource\WebServerExtensions\www\nad

If these entries are correct, it could be that your map agent is unable
to read them. That could be an issue with IIS or Windows 2000.

Let me know if these settings are present on your server, and if they
are I'll dig a little deeper.

Chris Claydon.