[mapguide-users] RE: Advantages of storing spatial data in SQLServer

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Mon Apr 2 02:55:33 EDT 2007

I mean that I prefer to use my RDBMS as the authoritative data store, so if I need to edit data via MapGuide (either the attributes or the geometry), then I can't use "snapshot" SDF files for these layers.  At least, not without incurring some really painful data synchronization headaches.  If you're using SDF as your primary source, then there's no restrictions on editing.

If you're happy with using SDF, then you can export packages as backups.  At some point you may run into size restrictions (2GB?).  I hacked some commandline utils for this a while back; not recently tested:
http://www.jasonbirch.com/nodes/2006/04/09/15/mapguide-open-source-package-utilities/

(wow, that was almost a year ago...)

You can (and should) also backup the entire repository using the tools under Server/RepositoryAdmin.  There's a PDF in there describing how to use them.

Jason

From: kalpesh
Subject: [mapguide-users] RE: Advantages of storing spatial data in SQLServer

When you say data which needs to be edited, are you talking about the
digitizing functions ? I believe, there are functions right now which allow
you to edit data stored in the repository, isnt it ?
As far as manageability is concerned, we can take backups of packages as a
single file from MapGuide Administrator mode just like SQL Server.

Please correct me if I am wrong.