[mapguide-users] ScreenToMapUnits problems

George McLean gmclean at gorge.net
Mon Feb 12 18:20:46 EST 2007

Hello,

I am experimenting with the ScreenToMapUnits(x,y) function in php with
Apache on windows XP. I am capturing the screen coordinates of a mouse
click with javascript and attempting to convert to map coordinates with
ScreenToMapUnits. When I compare the results of ScreenToMapUnits with
the coordinates in the status bar, the Y coordinate looks really
accurate while the X coordinate is off. The amount X is off depends on
the zoom level. The farther out I am zoomed the worse it is. My
coordinate system is Wisconsin South State Plane Grid South NAD83
(WI83-SF). At a zoom level where the map displayed is roughly 3 miles
wide the error is about 2000'.

I am not sure if there is some problem in the capture of the screen
coordinates or some other issue with the coordinate system. Has anyone
seen this sort of problem or does anyone have any suggestions on how to
troubleshoot this? How accurate should I expect ScreenToMapUnits to be?

Thanks

George McLean