[mapguide-users] MapGuide Open Source or MapServer

Jim Canniff canniff at rmss.us
Mon Jan 29 11:02:29 EST 2007

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice on which GIS package to use for a project I am
about to start. I'm a junior level Java programmer and have not used any GIS
software at all. I've been asked to determine which software would suit our
needs. We are developing an application which will display real-time
information on multiple layers over a GIS moving map. In it's simplest form,
we would like a flight track updating every 1-3 seconds, with additional
objects, such as wind barbs, plotted as a layer over the flight track. The
application will run from a Linux server (Debian distro), but must be
available within a standard web browser (IE, Firefox, Safari).

In my brief searching I've noticed much press regarding MapGuide Open Source
and MapServer. However, I've been unable to locate a discussion comparing
the two.

Any advice you might have will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.