[mapguide-users] Advice for a beginner!

John Roberts johnemyr at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Mar 2 10:34:15 EST 2007

Dear All

I am a beginner with MapGuide Open Source and have a query which I am hoping
you can help with!

I have my spatial data loaded in a PostGIS database and I want to install
MapServer, GeoServer, Deegree and MapGuide Open Source on the same windows
computer which would allow me to compare and contrast the products.

I thought that I would therefore install the latest version of Apache HTTP
server and run all of the products from the same Apache HTTP server.

What I am not sure about is:

1. Do I install MapGuide Server first?

2. Do I then install MapGuide Server extensions second? Would I choose
Manual Configuration and link that to an installation of Apache Tomcat?

3. I have looked the Apache site, and the Apache Tomcat 6.0 contains its own
HTTP server internally. Therefore if I have already installed Apache HTTP
server, I will have 2 HTTP servers installed. Can I link the Tomcat to the
independent installation of Apache HTTP server or can I use the HTTP server
bundled with the Tomcat as a HTTP server in its own right?

4. Can MapGuide Open Source read data from PostGIS?

Any help and advice would be very much appreciated!

Kind Regards

John
Manchester, UK