[mapguide-users] Connecting raster data from a remote drive

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Mar 30 16:03:13 EDT 2007

Gary Ellsworth wrote:
> I have been trying to add raster data to my map from a file that is on
> another drive on my server. I am using the Open Source Server 1.1.0 with
> Mapguide Studio 2007 and have been successful in connecting to raster
> data when the file with the aerials is on the C: drive of my Mapguide
> server. When I attempt to access raster data through Studio using new
> raster data connection and specify another drive location, such as
> F:\Park data\Aerial Photos, the connection fails. I really don’t have
> room for all of my aerials on the C: drive and would like to access the
> raster data stored on another partition of the server. Any help on this
> would be greatly appreciated.

Gary,

I'm not aware of any reason this wouldn't be able to work.  I *suspect*
this is a permissions issue, but it is hard to know from here.  Can you
try running MgServer.exe from the command console instead of as a service?
If you do this, it should have all the permissions of the interactive user.

If that works, then it is likely a permissions issue.

If that doesn't work ... then we try to think of other possible issues.

One way to dig a bit deeper is to set the CPL_DEBUG environment variable
to the value ON before running MgServer.exe at the console commandline.
This will produce extra debug output from GDAL which might give a clue.

Right now I would love to create a wiki topic about debugging the raster
provider.  But it seems that the trac.osgeo.org/mapguide wiki is really
for developer stuff, and such a user oriented topic wouldn't fit in.
Perhaps the developers in the wiki, users on the web site breakdown was
the wrong one?

For now I've updated this wiki topic:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/MapGuide_Open_Source_Using_the_Open_Source_Raster_Provider_with_Studio

Best regards,