[mapguide-users] Managed vs. Unmanaged feature sources

Travis Brannon tbrannon at geotechsystems.com
Tue Oct 2 08:54:31 EDT 2007

Hi all,

Quick question about data sources:

What is the difference between managed feature sources and unmanaged feature
sources?  I have read that managed features sources are stored in the site
repository and that unmanaged feature sources are stored outside the
repository somewhere on the servers file system.  However, I am still
unclear as to the nature of the services applied to feature sources said to
be "managed."  How exactly is data managed by the resource service?  Is
there a succinct list of "management services" provided by the resource
service?  And why would I want to use managed feature sources as opposed to
unmanaged?   Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Travis Brannon

Geotech Systems Ltd.