[mapguide-users] MGOS 2.0...

Zac Spitzer zac.spitzer at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 01:26:18 EDT 2007

I think in terms of mapguide being developer friendly this is *really*
important.

A use-case like a contractor assignment application where the
contractor logs in and is meant to see their assigned jobs on the map
(via a filter) can lead to some fairly serious business problems, lost
time, two contractors turning up to the same job etc.

Any mapguide application which has completely separate customer
business's cannot currently be guaranteed that their data is private.

I hit this error because the King.Oracle driver fails a lot with layer
filters, but beyond monitoring SQL on the database there is no
feedback, beyond maybe seeing too much data.

As an out of the box experience for someone evaluating mapguide, i
would find this very frustrating and I could imagine wasting hours
because of this problem.

So that's why i think's it important... (text copied to the bug)

On 10/19/07, Jason Birch <Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca> wrote:
> OK, I guess one and a half :)
>
> I was initially thinking that this would only be a problem when initially setting up the map and would have ranked it as a fairly low priority because of that, but I guess if you let the users define the filters at runtime, then it's a real issue.  Is this where you're seeing the problem?  Can you provide details about a real-world scenario on the ticket?  Providing information on why this is a pain point really helps when prioritising  the issues.
>
> Jason
>
> ________________________________
>
> From: Zac Spitzer
> Subject: Re: [mapguide-users] MGOS 2.0...
>
> pick one? these two are closely related :)
>
> Failing Layer filters are a nightmare at the moment, there is no
> feedback at all...
>
> This is so the users can tell us it failing, i consider it a severe
> bug (ie wrong data!!!) , unless your just using mapguide to render
> whole datasets as static maps
>
> > When a layer filter fails layer should be rendered empty
> > http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/ticket/289
>
> This is so the sys admin knows it
> > Failed Layer Filters should be logged to error.log
> > http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/ticket/254

Zac Spitzer
http://zacster.blogspot.com/
+61 405 847 168 (aussie moible)