[mapguide-users] Reduce PNG image genate whit Tile Base Layer

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Fri Sep 21 16:11:27 EDT 2007

I'm wondering if post-processing with something like pngcrush might help
as well...

http://pmt.sourceforge.net/pngcrush/

Haven't tried this myself, but crschmidt (from OpenLayers) suggested it
to someone who was trying to optimise for mobile apps.

I'm sure I've said this before, but I think we need an 8bit PNG option
at some point.  24bit is too large for non-highspeed users, and JPG gets
ugly really quickly.  There are issues (would somehow have to histogram
the "map" at the target scales and find the best palette) but the
benefits are considerable.

Jason