[mapguide-users] Interaction between multiple Viewer Instances

Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Wed Jun 4 09:38:20 EDT 2008

Hi Ralf, and welcome :).

There is a slight obstacle in interacting between two sessions.

When MapGuide starts a new sessions, it converts the map from xml format
to binary (from a MapDefinition to a RuntimeMap).
Part of this process is assigning each layer a globally unique id (GUID).
A selection is basically an xml like this:
<selection>
    <layer id="..guid..">
       <schema id="..classname..">
             <ID>...primary key in base 64 encoded format...</ID>
       </schema>
    </layer>
</selection>

The problem with having to sessions, is that the guid for the layers
will now be different, but everything else is the same.
So, if you want to transfer the selection, you have to lookup the name
of the layer, based on the guid, and then do the opposite on the other end.

Does this explain your question?

Regards, Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S