[ZS1] RE: [mapguide-users] MG2.0 install with other webapplications

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Sun May 4 13:53:54 EDT 2008

In addition to what Kenneth went over for the application pool, you can migrate MapGuide to a different website fairly easily.  You shouldn't have to configure anything in the mapguide virtual directory before exporting it.  I'm assuming IIS6 (Windows 2003) here:

- Open the "Default Website", right-click on the "mapguide" virtual directory, select "All Tasks", and then Save Configuration to a File

- Right-click on the "Web Sites" folder, choose "New" and then "Web Site".  When setting up this new website, you have to either need have a second IP address on your server or you need to configure your site to listen to a specific host header (that needs to be set up in DNS first).  The latter is generally a good idea anyway...  I typically leave my Default Website listening on 127.0.0.1/localhost (so I can access it from the server if I need to) and create new sites for other content.

- Right-click on the new website and choose "New" and then "Virtual Directory (from file)".  Read the XML document that you created earlier, and choose to import the "mapguide" virtual directory (the others will come along for the ride).

If you haven't already, configure the "mapguide" virtual directory to use its own application pool.  You may wish to make your entire new website use this application pool instead of just the mapguide directory.

There are some good white papers from Autodesk on how to configure MapGuide securely, and how to tweak performance (it's all in the data):

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=7798553 <http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=7798553>

You can do just about anything with the directory structure that you want, but getting the ajax viewer or fusion to work properly with non-standard configurations can be a bit of a heroic effort.  Early versions of MapGuide made you set this all up manually though, and there are docs on manual setup around...  like this one:

http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MGOS2onVistaIIS7 <http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MGOS2onVistaIIS7>

In general though, if you don't have much experience with IIS administration or have someone available who does, you may want to consider staying with the stock configuration.

Jason