[mapguide-users] Move Default Repository Location?

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Thu Oct 2 15:49:41 EDT 2008

I was actually wondering about that recommendation myself.

I personally haven't seen any noticeable performance degradation when
using unmanaged SDF files, but this is subjective and I generally have
less than a dozen SDF files in each directory, organised by subject
area.  Zac has more experience with large data sets than I do, so I
could easily be wrong on this.  For my use case, the convenience of
unmanaged data outweighs any measurable, but to me unnoticeable,
performance degradation.

Unmanaged SHP files are apparently a different issue, where the data
source schema is built per-directory rather than per-file, but I don't
have any experience with this.  I think you can get around this by
storing a very limited number of SHP files per directory.

If you are really concerned about performance, the beta SQLite provider
is noticeably faster than the SDF provider, though it has fewer
features.  I'll see if I can find time to put together a current build
of this for MapGuide 2.0.2.

Jason