[mapguide-users] Should I give up?

Dave Wilson dave.wilson at autodesk.com
Mon Dec 7 17:09:47 EST 2009

Why don't you try downloading a trial version of MGE 2010 as it comes with documentation and help?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?siteID=123112&id=10301587

And no I'm not plugging this from a corporate perspective, just providing an option that might help make things clearer.

I'm not knocking any of the great support provided here, but you get what you pay for.

Sadly I don't think you will find any current tool where you can view DWG's directly in a web based environment. You are going to have to convert them to SHP or SDF for example.

As to WMS you create your connection and it should show a list of classes other than the primary one at the top. When you create your layer you pick one of these classes. Add that layer to a new map and see if it determines bounds and a coordinate system (it usually defaults to an LL84 or WGS 84 based system which may not be correct for your data, otherwise you may have to set this information manually. When specifying your connection ensure you include a version parameter:

http://wms.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi?Service=WMS&Version=1.1.1

In order to determine the coordinate system (EPSG code) and bounds you should execute from a browser a GetCapabilities request:

http://wms.jpl.nasa.gov/wms.cgi?Service=WMS&Version=1.1.1&Request=GetCapabilities

You can get additional details about working with WMS here:

http://sandbox.mapguide.com/index.php/Web_Mapping_Service

I won't go into more details on the other things as I believe you can glean that from the documentation with the trial. Of course that doesn't cover the specifics of Maestro, the open source version of MG Studio, but understanding one should make the other clearer.

Regards,
Dave