[mapguide-users] Should I give up?

Mark Pendergraft markp at Meadgilman.com
Mon Dec 7 20:54:42 EST 2009

Neil,

What you are talking about is very doable, and much of it is fairly easy.
You have an excellent resource at hand which i think you aren't using
though, and that is Map 3D.  Map 3D has help files to explain how to connect
to WMS and to Raster files.  Open a new drawing, and try connecting to both
types in Map and see if you can get them to work there.  Map also has help
files for all the connection types with a step-by-step guide.  The steps to
connect are generally the same.  If you are having problems connecting in
Map, then you will know something is up.

You CAN load multiple drawings using MapGuide Studio.  Another idea would be
to xref any desired drawings into a blank drawing, then bind and explode the
xrefs, then use the Export to SDF or Publish to MapGuide Feature.

I understand your frustation, when I first started out I was really confused
about how this was all supposed to work..... And I too was wooed by a fancy
Autodesk presentation.  ;)  It's best to take it one step at a time.  And
the first step I would take is making sure your MapGuide installation is
running correctly by using it to view the sample data.  Then I would focus
on connecting to WMS and Raster in Map 3D.  Then worry about exporting
drawings to your map.

-Mark P.