[mapguide-users] ODBC DataSource creation

Joel Carranza jec at gatekeeper.com
Thu Jun 18 21:01:10 EDT 2009

I'm creating a a new ODBC DataSource which is pointed at an Oracle database.
This database has a lot of table/views in it, and when I go to define my
geometry properties and hit "Show tables", the takes a really long to to
populate. However, after a couple of minutes, everything comes up.
Wonderful! (This hadn't worked at all in older releases)

However, after setting up everything the way I want it, I go to hit the save
button and it takes a long time to save the datasource.

Really long - like 15 minutes. (it did eventually complete though)

Looking at the query log, we see that for each table that i defined an x/y
column, the ODBC FDO is doing

SELECT B.lat FROM tablename B
and then
SELECT B.lon FROM tablename B

Ouch!Each of our tables are actually quite big, so this kind of query takes
forever. I am guessing that the FDO is doing this to calculate the spatial
extent of the data, but why would it do it this way? Why not using MIN/MAX?
Is there something wrong with my setup that may be causing the code to go
down this path?

I am setting up against Views  inside an Oracle 10.2 database with the
latest MapGuide Open Source 2.1 beta. I think that I have seen this behavior
in earlier releases.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Joel Carranza