[mapguide-users] totally new to MG

Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Thu Nov 5 03:24:44 EST 2009

If you have MapGuide Enterprise, you also have MapGuide Studio.
If you have either MapGuide Enterprise or MapGuideOpenSource,
you can try MapGuide Maestro:
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/maestro

Either tool can help you set up a map.
If you are starting 100% from scratch, you can install the sample data
package (called Sheboygan):
http://mapguide.osgeo.org/download/releases/2.0.x-samples

Once you have a WebLayout working in Studio/Maestro, you can click the
"Preview" button.
This will show you the map in a working environment.

This environment is also a sample of how to develop such an application!
All the code for the various actions can be found in:
C:\Program Files\MapGuideOpenSource\Web\www\

(If you want to develop .Net applications, you must select the .Net API
during the install process).

To start developing an application, you bascially create a new .Net Web
Solution.

Carefull: don't use the "WebSite" method, as that is intended for CMS
like solutions,
and very hard to get working with MapGuide. Unfortunately this is
default with VS2005.

The Web solution must use IIS, not the internal development server,
configureable from the
project properties. If the "Web" tab is missing, or is missing the
"Servers" section, you have the
wrong type of "Web site".

Next, copy all dll's from MapGuide into the "bin" folder in your project.
The dll's are located here:
C:\Program Files\MapGuideOpenSource\WebExtensions\www\mapviewernet\bin

Then add a reference to the MapGuideDotNetApi.dll.

You can now access all the Mg* objects.

See the aspx files for samples:
C:\Program Files\MapGuideOpenSource\WebExtensions\www\mapviewernet\*.aspx

More samples here:
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/CodeSamples

And make sure you read the FAQ:
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/CodeSamples/AspDotNet/DevFAQ