[mapguide-users] Re: Join Problem

_Jon_ jrizzo at Langan.com
Mon May 3 09:56:09 EDT 2010

I don't notice a significant performance drop from 1.1 to 2.2.  The
performance seems about the same between those two versions.  When I was
testing 2.1, I noticed a significant performance improvement over 1.1, but
that improvement disappeared in 2.2.  However, the joins were not being
computed properly in 2.1, so that might account for the difference.

I haven't fully assembled my site in 2.2, but I was able to migrate one
layer to verify that the joins are working.
Here are the results of the profiler from that layer on my 1.1 site:
Identity fetching:00:00.046
Runtime layer creation:00:00.046
Rendering scales:00:01.391

Here are the results from the same layer in 2.2:
Identity fetching:00:00.593
Runtime layer creation:00:00.796
Scalerange [0 : 125]:00:00.406
Rendering scales:00:03.266

Rendering time is one thing - if someone needs to wait an extra second or
two for the page to load, that's not a big deal.  The slow performance is
most problematic when selecting the joined features.  There is a noticeable
delay between when a feature is selected and when the system responds to the
selection.  In 2.1, there was almost no delay.  In both 1.1 and 2.2, there
is a delay.  Granted, the delay is a bit better in 2.2 than it was in 1.1,
but it is not nearly as good as it was in 2.1.

Are you suggesting, based on what you know of the current state of 2.2 vs.
1.1, that I will likely see better & more stable results from 2.2 in its
current form than I am seeing in 1.1?  I'm a bit nervous about that, but I
do have occasional stability issues with 1.1 that I would like to fix.  This
is a relatively low-traffic site, but it would still be a headache if it
blows up.

Thanks for the advice!

Jon