[mapguide-users] Is GDAL working and Stable in 2.2?

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Thu Aug 18 17:02:25 EDT 2011

Hi Mike,

I have successfully performed lightweight load testing on the 64 bit Windows build with some ECW, MrSID, and TIFF data using the information contained at http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MGOS22GdalProvider.  So yes, for my data set I would say that it is stable.

There are a few limitations which may impact your implementation:

Occasionally MapGuide does not correctly return the extents or coordinate system of the raster data.  This makes authoring more difficult.  Jackie has a patch to improve this behaviour attached to http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/ticket/740.

The FDO GDAL Provider has only been tested with a single connection.
[FeatureServiceProperties]
DataConnectionPoolSizeCustom = OSGeo.Gdal:1

Enabling multiple connections may cause raster to go unstable.  This means that MapGuide and FDO GDAL will only process one raster data set concurrently.  If you have a lot of users and a lot different raster data sets, this could be a significant bottleneck.

I would like to take another pass at MapGuide & FDO GDAL for the 2.4 release.  There is some interest in adding configurable resampling (bilinear, cubic, etc) and we really do need to remove the single connection limitation.  I can make time available to do this work if funding is available.  This would move MapGuide + FDO GDAL Provider closer to parity with MapGuide + Autodesk Raster Provider.

Regards,
Trevor