[mapguide-users] Is GDAL working and Stable in 2.2?

Gabriele Monfardini gabrimonfa at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 04:37:27 EDT 2011

Hi Trevor, hi all,

one thing that would be beneficial and easy to do is using a more recent gdal.
Current stable version is 1.8 and MapGuide by default uses 1.6.

Not enough, it uses 1.6.0 while the last stable version in 1.6 branch is 1.6.3.
Usually point releases are mostly bug fixes so using 1.6.0 is not a good idea.

Another issue is that in 1.6 branch one has to manually pass
"--with-thread" to gdal compilation (at least in Linux one) to have
thread safe support, that is not enabled by default (while it is
enabled by default in 1.7 and in 1.8 branches if I remember
correctly).

I have to recompile gdal to enable postgis support in OGR provider
(I'm on Linux) and, as expected, version 1.6.3 works well with
MapGuide.
Moreover, also latest stable in 1.7 branch works fine, while I've had
some problem with 1.8.

In my tests I use OGR Provider with PostgreSQL/Postgis and gdal
provider with tiff and ecw images (I've kept the single connection in
gdal provider since I aim for stability, but not in OGR Provider that
would be too penalizing).

Regards,

Gabriele Monfardini